What do I need to bring with me?
- At least 1 COMPLETE change of clothes and shoes - a full set of clothes to go home in and a set to get wet
- A towel
- A plastic bag to put your wet clothes in
- Soft soled trainers that can get wet - no wellies, walking boots, sandals or crocs
- A packed lunch and drink if you're here for a full day
- Sun cream
- If you wear glasses, make sure you bring a piece of string or a strap.
If you have water activity clothing, e.g. wetsuit, waterproofs, sailing boots, gloves, etc, you're welcome to bring them with you.
It is recommended that you don't take any items of value on the water. To avoid risk of loss or damage please leave valuables at home.
A main building with
- a large teaching area
- changing rooms (with showers)
An outdoor area with
- a picnic and BBQ area overlooking the water
- space for camping
For activities we provide
- buoyancy aids
- wetsuits in the cooler months or if it's a wet activity
- spray jackets
- boats and equipment
- Buoyancy aids must be worn near and on the water.
- Helmets must be worn by under 18s and adult beginners in sailing, kayaking, traditional rafting and wobble boarding.
- Safety Boats and qualified drivers are on the water for all activities.
- For the safety and comfort of all users, ESSA is a No Smoking and No Alcohol site.
- No dogs are allowed apart from guide dogs.
- Full copies of our policies are available on request.
Arrive 15 minutes prior to the session for sign in and to get ready for the session.
Session times are:
Half day 10.00-12.30 or 1.30-4.00
Full day 10.00-4.00
After school sessions 4.00-5.30
Evening 2 hours, flexible between 6.00-8.30
We do our best to cater for your needs so open most days during the months of April to October, and at weekends from November to March.
During the winter ESSA is still active with land based courses and regular maintenance sessions. During this time, we also run courses such as Safety Boat, First Aid, Assistant Instructor, Dinghy Instructor and Crew Development days, in order to have more trained volunteers available to keep participants safe on the water.
We sell hot & cold drinks and chocolate & crisps at reasonable prices.
We also sell ESSA cloth badges at £1.50 each. Perfect for your camp blanket.
We have sufficient space for approximately 30 cars. On busy occasions our car park is very busy so if you’re taking part in a group activity, try to car share where possible.
There is also the option of parking at the top of the lake and taking the short walk down to us.